Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Men of Courage



I take my camera with me and sometimes I come across some interesting things. This morning I passed a bicyclist hit by a car, I ignored that photo op. Then to my surprise I came across steeple jacks working on Martha Mary Chapel in Sudbury Mass. I took some shots and talked to the guys. 
I never have done steeple work and I respect the men and women who do. It's a delicate business. One wrong move and it's all over. Scaffolding and ladders have to be positioned perfectly and fastened tight. 
Apparently the top of the steeple leaks and after repairs it is getting a new weather vane with gold leaf on it. I have taken pictures of brides in this chapel, built by Henry Ford years ago.. Down the street is Longfellows Wayside Inn a wonderful spot with significant history. In 1955 it burned to the ground. My dad was there and supplied the fire trucks with gasoline from his gas station to continue the fight. It was rebuilt and is a very popular place.
Back to the Jacks, the man in the green pokadotted hat said not to take his picture cause the police were after him. LOL.

No comments: