Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Old Barn Door


It may not look it but at one time this door was freshly painted. It is the entrance to my grandfathers barn in Sudbury, Mass. As a child I would run in and watch as grampa would hand milk the 2 cows he had. Does anyone do that anymore?
Up above was the hay loft that we were forbidden to play in but did anyway. Leaping around sliding down stacks of fresh hay. Tossing armfuls of the stuff at each other. Grampa always gently chastising us from tromping his hay.
Eggs were always collected every day inside the barn just before breakfast. They were always very warm to  the touch unlike the refrigerated kind in the store today. The stove was always going in the winder time making it a nice retreat from sledding on a nearby hill. Various woodworking  and repair  projects were always being done within the building. When Paul my brother was 12 years old he changed motors into cars using an old apple tree branch out front to hang grandpas block and tackle engine puller device on. So many activites so many memories, to many to list. It's not just another old door to me.

3 comments:

VTS said...

I heard the Old Farmhouse finally sold. I bet there's some mixed feelings about that. Did Uncle Adolf live in it up until he died?

I like hearing things like how my dad pulled engines out of cars using an apple tree branch. My dad is so cool.

Marilee said...

Hi Vanessa,
Yes, the farmhouse has been sold, and must be torn down. The rumor is they are building some affordable units and calling the road, 'Alexander way'. Hope that happens. The farm can't be salvaged.
Aunt Marilee

Marilee said...

And Happy birthday, vanessa!